Well, hello there! Tomorrow is the first day of June, which
means we’re almost halfway through the Year of Joy, and so I thought I would
check in and share what God has been doing in my life lately. I’ve shared that
this year was all about accepting this season of life for what it is and living
patiently—not passively, but patiently. This year isn’t about keeping myself
busy while the days pass, but fighting for every inch of life that Christ died
to give me. And that battle was for Joy.
Each day I add photos to an album to keep me accountable,
and on the days that aren’t photo worthy I quietly count the day’s gifts in my
journal. This exercise has become one of my favorite parts of the day, and by
the end of this entry, you’ll know why.
Today I’m going to write about thieves. Because life is full
of them. Life is also full of seasons.
When I think back on my life to this point, I remember seasons of growth and
seasons when painful pruning had to take place because the green good started
to brown and spoil. I remember times of pure joy and moments of utter sorrow.
We all have them. Life can be tough. In
fact, Jesus says, “In the world you WILL have tribulation.” Thank God the verse
doesn’t end there. He finishes, “But take heart; I have overcome the world
(John 16:33).” I take comfort in the fact that Jesus didn’t sugarcoat it. Life
is hard. Life is meant to be hard. But we have a Savior who makes it bearable.
So, we’re settled then? Life isn’t the perfect picture that
we paint on the walls of our social media outlets? Okay, then let’s move on and
talk about thieves. In my reading in the last month or so, I came across a
verse in John that I had heard many, many times, but for some reason this time
I really heard it: “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came
that they may have life and have it abundantly (John 10:10).” I felt truly
convicted as I started pondering this verse. How many things had I allowed
Infertility to take from me? It’s a given that with our diagnosis, the dream of
having a family might not be realistic. Short of a miracle, that was something
that we had to accept. But all of the things that I let fall by the wayside
because of Infertility—did I have to accept those things too?
The answer is simply, “NO.” The truth is Christ promises
that He uses EVERYTHING for our good. He promises that the things that come to
rob you, can in fact, add to your life. You may find yourself in what seems
like a hopeless situation and you’re wondering how it can possibly be used for
good, what there is to possibly gain. I can’t answer that for you, but I can be
an encouragement to you in your time of need. I can share my own story and pray
that it reaches you on a level that resonates and inspires. What has become a
thief in your life? Join me in putting your foot down and saying, “Enough is
enough!”
Thieves come in all shapes and sizes. They can creep into
our lives and we may not even be aware. Example: About a year into our struggle
(Almost two years ago), I would catch myself thinking awful things as I would
pass a pregnant woman—things like “What did she do to deserve that?” I didn’t
even know these women, yet I felt entitled to judge their situation. I was
knocked down to my knees shortly after and the lesson I learned has never left
me: “Comparison is the thief of joy.” I had to learn a tough lesson that day. I
had come to a point in my life when having children had moved into the place
that Christ was supposed to have in my life, and I began to filter everything
in my life through THAT lens instead of the Christ lens. Because of that I
became discontent and bitter and that gave way to my constant comparisons. Cue
the painful pruning. You see, I began to put my worth and security into the
fact that I couldn’t bear children, yet another form of successful thievery.
Comparison is not only a thief, it’s dangerous to the
wellness of our souls. The world tells you that your worth is equal to your
annual salary. Or to the square-footage of your home. Or in the number of
promotions you have received. The world tells you that your worth lies in your
title, or the number of children you bear. The world tells us that we have to
be better. Be better.
How can we ever measure up in a world like that?
Jesus says, “No. You are enough for Me just the way you are.
Let Me be enough for you.”
Let’s tear down the notions that life is perfect. Let’s stop
pretending that it is. Let’s stop comparing our lives to the lives of the ones
we love. Let’s stop trying to “one up” them and start helping them get to where
they need to be. Let’s be encouragers. Lifters. Helpers.
Because these thieves that run rampant make life hard
enough. They don’t need our help. Our neighbors need our help. Our brothers
need our help. Our sisters need our help. The pregnant woman I compared my
situation to, she may need my help. The girl you made fun of at lunch today,
she may need your help. Life is hard. Let’s not make it harder.
I heard a quote that I can’t shake: “The only reason you
should be looking into your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure they have enough.”
So if life is hard right now and you happen to be comparing
your season of life to someone else’s, are you feeling the need to compete like
I had? Let’s die to that competition together. Our worth isn’t in the things of
this world. Maybe you have someone in your life that constantly brings the
competition. I know that can be stressful. What if you didn’t participate? What
if you pushed them along and said, “Here. You go on ahead of me.”
Because, really, it’s okay to not have the best things, to
not be in the best season of your life right now. I urge you to stay there, in
the season you’re in, and ask what needs to be learned here. This season doesn’t
have to rob you.
“Trials don’t get to steal from followers of Christ unless
we hand over the goods. In fact, they’re commanded to give goods to us if we’re willing to receive them.
Robbers or reapers, it’s up to us.” –Beth Moore
I loved this quote “The only reason you should be looking into your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure they have enough.”
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts, Bridget.
God bless you!
Roger
Dubai
Blessed are those who have not seen yet believe......keep thanking and believing the Lord for your little miracle..x
ReplyDelete